Thursday, September 23, 2010

initial post

Masculinity in the Media
A couple of questions I ask myself when I observe something is “How did this end up like this?” or “How did this starts”. There are many intriguing ways in which things happen in the world and one of them is how people respond to the media and what makes them pay attention to it. On that note I decided that I would be researching masculinity in the media. By doing this I will be going forward and backward through time drawing similarities and comparisons between what it is now and what it was three thousand years ago.
Through time man (or woman) has been able to control their attention and how they divide it with the world around them, but what makes one thing more attractive to listen to? There are a lot of different things that can factor into this. My main study will be what role masculinity plays in our society effecting our media.
There are a lot of vast differences between what mass communication was three thousand years ago and what it is today but I plan on focusing the similarities. Find out what aspects of communication appeal better to masculinity or don’t. There is plenty of research material out there to be able to cover this.
Hopefully, when all is said and done I will have a firm grasp on what masculinity means in the world of communication. I will expect myself to answer some deep seeded questions that will help myself and my peers get a better understanding of the topic. In time I think there will be plenty to discuss as well as great information to uncover and it will be my privilege to explore this topic with the best of my ability.

1 comment:

  1. I'm curious to hear about your research findings when you give your presentation on Monday next week. I think it's an interesting question to consider what role masculinity plays in how society influences media.

    ReplyDelete